Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sorry for the Incovenience

This post may very well come off as a rant, because it is.

So today I worked very hard to get out of the house, on time, with my baby fed and looking decent myself to pick up Jeremy to have a nice lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant. Not an easy task, and I was pretty proud of myself for doing so!

After arriving, the little man was content, smiling and cooing at us from his carseat while we waited on our food. I could see he was starting to get hungry again, so I warmed his bottle and started to feed him. Meanwhile, the restaurant is starting to fill up and there are very few tables that are open. A nice gentleman got seated at the table next to ours. A few minutes later, while I was feeding Ryan, another guy, lets not call him nice gentleman, joins the guy at the table next to ours.

As he approaches the table which is 2 feet away, he says "Were there no other tables that aren't next to a baby."

I chose to ignore this comment, but the more I thought about it the more infuriated I got. I finished feeding Ryan, put him on my shoulder, patted his back for a couple of minutes while he fell asleep, and put him in his carseat and covered him with a blanket. All the while, my sweet precious baby did not make even one sound, happy, mad, or otherwise.

I'm sorry mister not nice gentleman, that I love my husband, want to have lunch with him, and God has blessed us with a child. I'm even more sorry that I don't stay in the house 24/7 now after giving birth to said blessing. And most of all mister not nice gentleman, I'm sorry that you are so bothered by a baby who does not make a sound, in a family establishment, in the middle of the day, the entire time you are seated next to us.


And come on, how can you bothered by this:


Next time, I think might just say something with a comment like that. I feel better! Thanks for listening.

3 comments:

  1. It's nice to rant one in a while!

    I love your baby! You can come have lunch with me anytime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. eh, just a grumpy old fart. I love my 2 boys, but expect I'll be a grumpy old fart one of these days also.

    On the subject of kids in restaurants, have you ever noticed that most "family" restaurants you go to (Chili's, etc), if you have a child, you are ALWAYS placed in the section with other kids? If you are the first family to arrive with kids, ALL other's with kids coming after you will be seated in the same section? We joking refer to it as the "screaming kids section". You REALLY throw them off their game when you ask for a table on the toher side of the restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Hannah! I love your family and kiddos too :) Lunch is a must.

    Mark -- this guy was in his mid-30's, YEARS away from an old fart. Or maybe he just adopted an old fart attitude already.

    And I have noticed that they seat kids together. If I've learned anything as a teacher it is that you *separate* children to keep the screaming at a minimum. They should take advice from people in childcare professions.

    ReplyDelete